This week’s Diva Challenge (#218) was to either do a white on black tile or tangle on a found object.
As my white pens rarely cooperate with me, even under the best circumstances, I decided to go with the found object. Finding a found object wasn’t much of a problem, my house is still somewhat under construction so there are tons on otherwise useless bits and bobs just lying around waiting to be attacked with a pen!
I literally stood up, spun in a slow circle and my eyes landed on a lovely bit of cut wood on our contractors work table, so that’s what I tangled.
I used 16 tangles on this “tile”, none repeating, which took four days and two pens to finish. The tangles used (in the order that I added them) are:
Akoya by Sandy Hunter, Gottago by Lianne Woods, Garlic Cloves by Jacquelien Bredenoord, #B’Twined by Pegi Schargel, Spupa by Mei Hua Teng, YAH by Emily Classon, Fassett by Lynn Mead, Knot Rickz by Cheryl Cianci, #Twile by Lesley Scott-Gilliland, Palrevo by Karry Heun, #Diva Dance by Maria Thomas, Sand Swirl by Karry Huen, Sparkle by Sharon Caforio, Groovy by Eden Hunt, #Keenees by Donna Hornsby, and Afterglo by Carole Ohl.
I had a difficult time keeping the accent lines in order with Groovy. I seriously messed up the auras with Sand Swirl. With Diva Dance I was never quite sure that I was doing it correctly but I just kept on swimming anyway!
I really love how the dark sepia looks on the pine, it’s so organic feeling. I liked it so much that I really didn’t think I was going to add any color until I couldn’t help it. I stayed with minimal shades of brown and tan in order to maintain the organic feel and I think it worked out pretty well.
Actually, this is one that I’m pretty darned proud of, which means that it’s already been given away!
All in all it was a really fun piece to do, though I did get tired toward the end and wished that I’d chosen a smaller piece to tangle on!
Alphabet Challenge – S, T & U
For week #6 of Diane Clancy’s Alphabet Challenge I chose to tangle with String 125 from Tangle Patterns. Well, actually I only used most of String 125, I didn’t put the diagonal line through the center because I wanted the diamond in the center. . . and I was only using 3 patterns.
I’m in a grey scale kind of mood this week, so I left the tile in black & white. That and I like how the starkness really seems to make the design, especially the Sand Swirls, pop.
Sand Swirl came out quite a bit better in this tile than it did on the Found Object “tile” I did for the #Diva’s Challenge, of course I’d had a bit of practice by the time I started this one!
While I like the tile, if I were going to do it again I would probably switch where I used Undling and Twile, mostly because I think having the larger patterns on the outside and the tighter pattern in the center would have looked a tad bit better. Either that or I would have found a tighter pattern that started with an S. . . either way I wasn’t thinking that far ahead when I started!
I’m so happy that I was once again able to participate in Daniel Lamothe’s Tangleation Vocation challenge.
This week’s challenge was to use Prestwood by Margaret Bremner. This is another tangle pattern that I’ve never tried so I was a little nervous about how it was going to turn out. I shouldn’t have been though as, once I got started, I realized that it’s a relatively easy pattern that I can see myself using it more often now that I’ve got the hang of it.
When I first started adding “texture” to the odd loops, they looked like cartoon mummies so I was going to make the other ones little ghosts. It would have been cute, but now that it’s finished I’m glad I didn’t go the route because I really love the goofy little daisies!